TACLOBAN CITY, (PNA) –- Holiday revelries injured 69 persons in Eastern Visayas, 52 percent more than last year, but zero amputation made the anti-firecracker drive successful, according to the Department of Health (DOH).
Roderick Boyd Cerro, chief of the DOH regional epidemiology and surveillance unit, said that although cases of injuries have increased, consultation at the Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center – the region’s biggest state-run hospital – has dropped by 67 percent.
“We still consider the Iwas Paputok campaign successful since injuries this year were less serious than in the previous year,” he said. Last year, 46 people were injured and some were amputated.
The regional health department’s program against firecracker use was also disrupted by health emergencies arising from typhoon Ruby and storm Seniang last month.
The government has launched its monitoring of Christmas and New Year revelries on December 16, 2014 and concluded on January 5, 2015.
Of the 69 cases, 18 were reported in Eastern Samar, 18 Northern Samar, 17 in Samar, 8 in Leyte, four in Southern Leyte, and four in Biliran.
Piccolo ignited by children accounted 79 percent of the total blast injuries, according to Cerro. The health department reported a lone victim of stray bullet– Rene Pacite, 27 from Carigara, Leyte. He was treated at the Ormoc City District Hospital. (PNA)