The National Maritime Polytechnic in Barangay Cabalawan Tacloban, City.
The National Maritime Polytechnic in Barangay Cabalawan Tacloban, City.

TACLOBAN CITY, Jan. 27 (PNA) – The National Maritime Polytechnic (NMP), a state-run maritime training and research agency located in this city, accommodated as of mid-January a total of 247 maritime trainees who are either aspirants to become seafarers, active seafarers or maritime instructors and assessors.

Out of the total, 204 took the basic courses such as basic training, proficiency in survival craft and rescue boat other than fast rescue boats, basic training refresher, basic training updating and safety training for boat captain and marine diesel mechanic.

The remaining 43 were enrolled in the ratings forming part of engineering watch, medical emergency first aid and training course for instructors modules.

As of January 15, 165 or 67 percent of the trainees have finished their trainings while the other 82 or 33 percent will finish on 22 January 2016.

This is a well-grounded start for the agency since full-swing in training operations started last July 2015 only.

It is expected that the number of enrollees will accelerate in the next few months with the opening of more standards of training, certification and watchkeeping for seafarers courses.

In the interim, NMP is addressing the observations raised by the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) in connection with its application for accreditation of additional 5 courses namely: refresher training, refresher training for advanced firefighting, refresher training for personal survival technique and fire prevention and fire fighting, updating training for personal safety and social responsibility and general operator’s course for global maritime distress signal system.

In its effort to contribute in providing employment to Filipinos especially the seafarers, NMP continues to upgrade its facilities and provide quality maritime trainings required pursuant to the standards of training, certification, and watch keeping for seafarers convention.

The NMP encourages those interested to avail of its maritime training programs to visit the NMP facebook page ( and website where all related information on NMP trainings are available. (PNA)