TACLOBAN CITY- Typhoon Mario has resulted for the suspension of classes in all levels in the cities of Ormoc in Leyte and Calbayog and Catbalogan, both in Samar due to the continuous rains experienced in these areas.

Meanwhile, in Northern Samar, its provincial disaster risk reduction officer Jing Unay said that while they were experiencing non-stop rains, there was no flooding of landslide incident that they have monitored as of posting.

“But we are constantly monitoring the situation for any eventuality,” Unay, reached on his mobile phone, said.

But classes in the elementary level across the province were suspended, said provincial legal officer Leah Estudillo in a separate

Classes in all levels in Catbalogan and Calbayog cities, both in Samar, were suspended due to the heavy rains and strong winds spawned by Mario.

Nimfa Quirante, provincial officer of the Philippine Information Agency based in Catbalogan, said that Mayor Stephanie Uy of Catbalogan made the suspension of classes Thursday morning while Mayor Ronaldo Aquino of Calbayog announced the suspension in the afternoon.

In Ormoc, Mayor Edward Codilla also suspended classes in all levels in the city due to heavy rains brought by Mario.

In Tacloban, while it experienced heavy rains, the city government did not suspend any classes.

But people living in tents in San Jose District, worst hit by Supertyphoon Yolanda, could not hide their fear.

Melba Villalino, barangay chairman of Barangay 89 in San Jose, said that families in her village living in tents are still in trauma that every time there is a typhoon or bad weather, they could not help but fear for their lives.

“You know, they still live in tents which could easily be blown away by strong winds. Also, when there is a strong wind, water go inside their tents,” she said.

There are still 427 families in her village that lives in tents, majority of which are already damaged due to elements. The tents were united by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) just weeks after Yolanda hit Tacloban 10 months ago.