TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte, (PIA) — Thirty-one (31) individuals in the province of Samar reportedly got poisoned due to paralytic shellfish poisoning otherwise known as red tide.
According to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR), the reported poisoning happened from November 2-13, 2017.
The victims, aged 1 year old to 60 years old came from various places in Samar province such as Catbalogan City; Tarangnan; Daram and Barangay Gumamela, Sta. Rita.
All victims are fully recovered from the poisoning as of this writing.
Based on shellfish bulletin no.36 series of 2017 dated November 10, 2017, shellfishes collected at the coastal waters of Daram Island, Irong-Irong bay, Maqueda bay, Villareal bay and Cambatutay bay in Samar are still positive for paralytic shellfish poison that is beyond the regulatory limit.
The same also with the status of the coastal waters in Matarinao bay in Eastern Samar and in Carigara bay in Leyte.
Hence, all types of shellfish and acetes sp. or alamang gathered from the seven coastal waters in Eastern Visayas are not safe for human consumption. But fish, squids, shrimps and crabs are safe for eating provided they are fresh and washed thoroughly and the internal organs such as gills and intestines are removed before cooking.
Meanwhile, the coastal waters of Calubian and Leyte, San Pedro bay, Cancabato bay in Tacloban City, all in Leyte and the coastal waters of Biliran province are still free from red tide toxin. (ajc/cba/BFAR8/PIA8)