MAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte, (PNA) – The national government has released P126.6 million for the construction of flood control structures and drainage canals in Southern Leyte, prioritizing those areas previously hit by typhoons and vulnerable to future natural calamities.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) Fund released on Dec. 28, 2015, will finance seven projects.
“It takes time to release the fund since sites have to undergo assessment by the Office of the Civil Defense to make sure that the locations are previously hit by typhoons and highly vulnerable to flooding,” said District Engineer Ma. Margarita C. Junia.
The fund will be used to rehabilitate seven drainage canal and flood control structure projects in Daang Maharlika (P17.94 million); Liloan-San Ricardo Road (P18.08 million); another section along Liloan-San Ricardo Road (P17.87 million); Himay-angan-Silago-Abuyog boundary road (P17.81 million); a separate portion of Himay-angan-Silago-Abuyog boundary road (P17.98 million); boundary of Southern Leyte-Maasin-Macrohon-Sogod-Daang Maharlika (P18.46 million); and another portion within the boundary of Southern Leyte-Maasin-Macrohon-Sogod-Daang Maharlika (P18.46 million).
These projects will be bid out on Jan. 19 and civil works will kick off early this year. Among the typhoons that damaged these structures were “Yolanda,” “Agaton” and “Basyang.”
Junia said that some of these road sections were not badly hit by natural calamities, but they have to implement structures that would reduce the impact of future disasters. (PNA)